Tuesday, October 14, 2008

It's On

It's about 15 minutes to the closing of polls here in Alberta for the 2008 Federal Election. 15 minutes til they start counting the votes at what many, myself included, think is a crucial time in Canada (and the world)'s current history.

Most people foresee yet another Conservative Party minority government. I cannot help but tend to agree. I would not be terribly surprised to see the CP's gain a few more seats than last election, but I have a hard time imagining many people will change their voting patterns in times of such uncertainty. It will, however, be interesting to see whether the call to vote strategically (both the ABC lobby and the Vote for the Environment lobby seeming to be pleas to vote against the Conservatives) make any real difference this time around.

I do find it interesting that this election seems to be mostly about Mr. Harper, Conservative Party Leader and incumbent Prime Minister. Now, more than any Federal Election that I recall, this election is about Party leadership, not so much about Party platforms. I will likely post about this in more detail soon.

In the time it took to write this, the 15 minutes has passed and the counting shall begin. I will sign off with this thought. Given the state of Canada and the world, can we look to the outcome of this election with any real hope? I do not think so. We've got some tremendous troubles on the horizon to overcome, but I do not think the necessary changes will be initiated in our Parliaments, Legislature's, etc.

Crap, the first announcement is in and Elizabeth May did not even win a seat. Ill offer my congrats now to the Cons. Look out tho, more and more of us are watching closely.

No comments: