Saturday, July 04, 2009

The Grande Prairie Brand

I don't read the local paper, the Daily Herald Tribune, as much as I likely should. I get my distant news online and I miss out on too much local news by focusing too far abroad, other than when I am driving with the radio on. But yesterday I happened to notice an article on the front page that drew my eye and led to much cursing. It seems that Grande Prairie is spending $36,000 on a consultant who will help us choose a "brand".

I see this as yet another frustrating example of dedication to a consumptive, constant growth paradigm. Between 1995 and 2005, Grande Prairie was one of the fastest growing cities in the world, thanks to a booming energy industry. As the system finally started to implode, growth here also started to wane. Unemployment is an issue locally for the first time in around 30 years and instead of realizing that our recent growth was unsustainable and irresponsible, the City seems to be trying to work hard to return to the expansion days. It seems to me that much of the population here will happily go along with these efforts, oblivious to the fact that the old ways were incredibly flawed.

Reality is just too hard I guess.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

This is so maddening! I just can't fathom why communities think they need to be anything other than a good place to live. Why we think it's necessary to always be selling ourselves is beyond me. People tend to be so judgemental of prostitutes, but really, is 'branding' any different?

Jerry said...

Hear Hear!!!!!

Well put indeed, Lady T.