Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Home Again, Home Again

Wow, what a week.

I got home from Cuba yesterday and there's so much to write about, I don't even know where to start. I suspect I have a few different posts in me, after such an inspirational time, but I best start with the whole reason for the trip...my brother's wedding.



Other than my inability to square up the ring box in the little photo display I set up, this was a pretty cool wedding. It's funny, the wedding happened mostly because my brother is somewhat traditionalist yet this was not really what most would consider a traditional wedding. For one thing, I stood up for his fiance and our sister stood up for my brother. For another, the ceremony was performed by a Justice and in Spanish...when all the attendees spoke English or German. The wedding planner did provide translation but the whole thing took place on the beach so no one but the bride and groom could hear much of what was being said anyway. I loved it, quirky yet beautiful.

I always knew I had a great little brother, but to see that around 45 people traveled that far to be there for his wedding really showed the kind of effect he has on people. One friend of the bride and groom had to travel 40 hours from Malaysia to be part of it. Sweet vacation being part of the deal or not, that is friendship! (Granted, it helps that many of his friends work in nice gigs in the oil and gas industry)

I don't really know exactly how to say this next part, other than to say that I think he has found himself a fine wife and he has brought some fine people into our extended family. I've now had the chance to speak to his wife a fair deal and I think she's a pretty clever woman, and she obviously loves my brother immensely (which is really all that matters). Her family and friends all ganged up and made me promise to visit Berlin as soon as possible, but it was not a difficult promise to make, as lovely as they all are. I have to start learning German now I guess. Not really fair to expect them to do all the adjusting.

I woke up yesterday morning with a growing chest and head cold, so I'm going to keep this post short. Much more to come tho. Let me just say now however...I only got to see so much in one week, but I am developing a fond respect for Cuba and its people. It became very easy to see why Ernest Hemingway loved the island so much, and found so much inspiration there. It was the same for me.

More to come. Peace and comfort to all.

3 comments:

linda said...

Welcome back and congratulations on your brothers wedding! We missed you here.
One week doesn't sound like enough time, but I look forward to hearing more.
My cousin spent a couple of years learning German before moving to her husbands hometown of Dusseldorf. She was disappointed that the Germans she met all preferred to converse in English because she was hoping to get fluent! Both of my kids are learning the language and find it fairly easy as it has some similarities to English and they say, it has less rules.
Take care of that cold! Have some herbs around?

Liz said...

Welcome back

Jerry said...

Thanks for the welcomes back!

I know English derives heavily from German and Latin so I figured I should be able to get the basics pretty quick.

I don't really know too much about herbs but for colds I just pile on the vitamin C and I have found that Cold FX works quite well for me, usually.